PSP50916 Diploma of Interpreting (LOTE-English)
The Diploma of Interpreting provides foundational skills for new entrants to the interpreting industry. Students are prepared for work typically in the community and business domains which include sectors such as general health, welfare, education, tourism, and social services. Interpreters are also prepared for non-complex disability assistance, preliminary police interviews, and other communication situations encountered in customer and community information environments. The course prepares students to interpret in informal business and workplace contexts where the consequences of errors in communicative intent can be readily managed.
Candidates need to have a strong background in written and spoken English and Mandarin (Chinese) to qualify for enrolment.
This course is delivered over 20 weeks + 6 weeks of holidays.
Weekday and weekend classes are available + self-study component.
Full Time studies requires students to attend a minimum of 20 scheduled course contact hours per week.
This qualification suits students seeking a career in the following job roles:
- Communication Officer
- Office Assistant
The delivery methods for this course include:
- Face-to-face classroom-based learning
- Parts of this course are delivered and assessed in Mandarin
Students must successfully complete the following units:
- PSPTIS001 Apply codes and standards to ethical practice
- PSPTIS002 Build glossaries for translating and interpreting assignments
- PSPTIS003 Prepare to translate and interpret
- PSPTIS040 Interpret in general dialogue settings (LOTE-English)
- PSPTIS041 Interpret in general monologue settings (LOTE-English)
- PSPTIS042 Manage discourses in general settings
- PSPTIS043 Use routine subject area terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)
- SITXLAN3115 Conduct oral communication in a language other than English (Mandarin)
- PSPTIS045 Demonstrate routine English proficiency in different subjects and cultural contexts
- PSPTIS046 Use routine education terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)
- PSPTIS047 Use routine health terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)
- PSPTIS048 Use routine legal terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)
Recognition of Prior Learning / Work Experience
Recognition is available (on application) to students with prior skills, experience, knowledge or qualifications obtained from formal studies or training, in a related area. Recognition may reduce the duration of your studies.
On completion of the PSP50916 Diploma of Interpreting (LOTE-English), students may pursue the PSP60816 Advanced Diploma of Translating at Stanley College or selected Bachelor courses at Universities.
|Completion of PSP50916 Diploma of Interpreting (LOTE English)
|Applicable Tests Available||Student Pathway
|Credentialed Community Language Test (CCL Test) ||- NAATI expects that individuals that pass the NAATI CCL test will be able to claim CCL points (referred to as the five bonus points).
|- An individual who has passed a CCL test is not NAATI Certified to work as An interpreter or translator.
|NAATI Certification Test||- NAATI Certified Provisional interpreter
*Note: Students can complete the CCL test independently, without completing the PSP50916 or PSP60816 qualifications*
Please familiarise yourself with Stanley College’s Refund and Cancellation Policy.
This is a NAATI Endorsed Qualification.
- A recognised Degree or Diploma (including vocational experience) in any discipline or equivalent, and
- IELTS Band 6 overall (General/Academic) with speaking and listening Band no less than 6 or equivalent, and
- Achieve a pass in the Stanley College admission test including one scenario-based interpreting task between Mandarin and English. The admission test will be administered by Stanley College approved trainers.
Tuition Fee: $7,650
Materials Fee: $150*
Tuition Fee: $6,500
Materials Fee: $150*
^Valid till 31 Oct 2019
Easy payment plans available.
*The Materials Fee covers equipment and resources used in the delivery of your course at Stanley College.
For other fees and expenses including Administration Fee, Health Cover, Recognition of Prior Learning, Late and Reassessment Fees click here
Feb, April, May, July, Aug, Oct, Nov